Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Garment District altered Matchbox by Keri Sallee

Good Morning Lovelies!

Keri Sallee with you this morning.

Today I am combining two of my FAVORITE companies: Marion Smith Designs and Graphic 45.

I LOVE all of Graphic 45's "Staples" and I wanted to make one of their Matchboxes FABULOUS with some Marion Smith Goodies.






Here's What I used:

Marion Smith Garment District Papers (6x6 size)


Graphic 45 Small Sliding Matchbox


Marion Smith Junque and Gems



Marion Smith Alphabet Stamps

Ivory Acrylic Paint
Folk Art Antique Gold Acrylic Paint
Deco Art 1-Step Crackle Finish
Washi Tape
Liquid Adhesive
Dimensional Tape 
Archival Ink in Jet Black (Ranger)
Paper Flower (Michael's)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my cover, I fussy cut some fun shapes from the "Garment District", as well as a stamped butterfly from the "Curious" stamp set. I layered these with some Junque and Gems and a paper flower. 



To make my finish I did the following:

(1) Painted my matchbox with ivory acrylic paint.

(2) applied a thick coat of Deco Art 1-Step Crackle. Allow it to dry completely (can take 2-4 hours.) This is not a step you want to rush with a heat gun. I find you get much better crackle allowing it to dry naturally.

(3) Once your crackle is dry, with your fingers, lightly rub your antique gold paint over one side at a time. Wipe away excess with a paper towel.

Once that was dry, I stamped my box with the same butterfly stamp using Archival Ink and then set them with my heat gun. 



The hidden fun of this project is a fun accordion album!! I simply cut 4 pieces of "Garment District" paper to fit my box, used washi tape to attach them together (leave a small gab between them to allow them to fold) and folded them accordion style. The last one is adhered to the back of my box to allow the album to be permanently attached and not get lost. 



My title was made by simply stamping Marion's Alphabet stamp on a scrap piece of "Garment District" paper and adhereing them down. (Tweezers work well for this since they are so small!)




So there you go!

I hope you enjoyed my project today and are inspired to bring together your favorite companies.

Until next time, remember...make your art intentional in your life...not an after thought.

XOXO,

KERI









2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous project, crackle texture looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you wrapped the butterfly stamp over the edge - love all the bits and pieces - great project!

    ReplyDelete